Legal aid

To apply for legal aid in person or over the phone, see Do I qualify? and How to apply.

Child protection matters

You can get a lawyer to represent you for a child protection matter if:

Parents Legal Centre

The Parents Legal Centre focuses on helping parents resolve their child protection matters early and collaboratively. It offers services at any stage of the child protection matter, from the first contact with the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) or a delegated Aboriginal agency until it's apparent the matter can't be resolved through collaborative processes.

The centre is located at the Vancouver Provincial Courthouse at Robson Square (800 Hornby Street) and only accepts child protection cases from Vancouver and Burnaby. Parents Legal Centre lawyers and advocates do not travel to other courthouses.

The Parents Legal Centre provides:

  • information and advice options for resolving child protection issues out of court
  • legal advice and representation, where appropriate, through collaborative processes such as mediation and family case planning conferences
  • legal advice and representation at uncontested hearings
  • referrals to other services, including online resources and other public agencies

You may be eligible for these services if:

  • your income and assets fall within a qualifying range,
  • you are a parent, guardian, or a person standing in the place of a parent, and
  • the case can be resolved consensually.

If you already have a lawyer working with you on your child protection issue, the Parents Legal Centre cannot help you.

To find out if you're eligible for this service, visit your local legal aid office or call the LSS Call Centre.