BC Family Law Case Law Updates. Chapter 5: Contact Orders (Oct 2019)
[12:34] Lawyer Agnes Huang (Saltwater Law) discusses case law on contact orders, who has contact time, and how to change contact orders. For community workers and advocates. Part 5 of 8. Topics include:
- People wanting contact have the onus of establishing contact with them is in the best interest of the child
- History of care for the child from non-guardians
- Emotional connection, stability important when granting contact
- Conflict between parties is not in child's best interest
- Variations of a contact order
- Need to show a material change of circumstance
- Test in changing contact orders are lower than changing parental responsibilities
For more information on Family Law in British Columbia:
- Family Law in BC
- Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC
- MyLawBC (featuring Q and A pathways to get tailored action plans, and free online mediation to make a parenting plan)
- Clicklaw (online compendium of resources)
- Family Law Line
- Legal Aid BC Resources for Community Workers, including free print publications in a range of languages
- Dial-a-Law (call in to hear legal information)
Please note: Legal Aid BC resources are for professional development. They don't provide legal or other professional advice. Law is constantly evolving; changes in practice and procedure occur frequently. Exercise your professional judgment about the correctness and applicability of the material. Please refer to the relevant legislation, case law, administrative guidelines, and other primary sources. The views and conclusions expressed here are not necessarily those of Legal Aid BC.
Legal Aid BC helps all British Columbians with serious family, child protection, immigration, and criminal law issues. We give free legal information to everyone, and advice and lawyer services to eligible British Columbians.
Credits: Presentation by Agnes Huang, Saltwater Law. Filmed and edited by Paul Donovan, Focus Audio Visual Services Ltd. Production and publication coordinated by Kate Murray, Bridget Greenwood, Baljinder Gill, Ella Droko, and Brian Goncalves, Legal Aid BC. Thumbnail design by Caitlin Kuo and Brian Goncalves, Legal Aid BC.