Family Law in BC for Settlement Workers - Full Presentation (Apr 2019)
[1:35:48] Lawyer Hannah DeJong explains separation & divorce, parenting, guardianship and more as she introduces Family Law in BC. For community workers, settlement workers, and others who assist families with legal issues.
- Introduction: Emotions and challenges in Family Law; what is a spouse in BC law?
- Parenting: What must parents decide? What laws apply? Best interests of the child; guardianship
- Child Support: Obligations and guidelines; types of child support; support for adult children
- Spousal Support: Objectives; entitlement; amount and duration
- Property and Debt: Property division entitlements and timelines; what is family property? Family debt; excluded property
- Dispute Resolution: Costs of court and alternatives; Family Law Act; dispute resolution options (negotiation, mediation; mediation-arbitration; collaborative law; litigation); unbundled legal services.
- Family Law Resources: free websites and print materials
For more information on Family Law in British Columbia:
- Aboriginal Legal Aid (Legal Aid BC)
- Clicklaw (online compendium of resources)
- Family Law in BC (Legal Aid BC)
- Family Law Line (Legal Aid BC)
- MyLawBC featuring Q and A pathways to get tailored action plans, and free online mediation to make a parenting plan (Legal Aid BC)
Please note: Legal Aid BC resources are for professional development. They don't provide legal or other professional advice. Law is constantly evolving; changes in practice and procedure occur frequently. Exercise your professional judgment about the correctness and applicability of the material. Please refer to the relevant legislation, case law, administrative guidelines, and other primary sources. The views and conclusions expressed here are not necessarily those of Legal Aid BC.
Legal Aid BC helps all British Columbians with serious family, child protection, immigration, and criminal law issues. We give free legal information to everyone, and advice and lawyer services to eligible British Columbians.
Credits: Presentation by Hannah M. DeJong, Boughton Law, with an introduction by Baljinder Gill, Legal Aid BC. Filmed by Focus Audio Visual Ltd. for Legal Aid BC. Edited by Paul Donovan, Focus Audio Visual Services Ltd., and Karen Dhanda, Legal Aid BC. Production and publication coordinated by Kate Murray, Ella Droko, Baljinder Gill, Brian Goncalves, and Bridget Greenwood, Legal Aid BC.