Legal Resources for Settlement Workers in BC: Rise Women’s Legal Centre (Apr 2019)
[9:46] The Rise Women’s Legal Centre helps women who don't have lawyers. Services and resources are explained in Taruna Agrawal's talk for community workers and settlement workers in BC. 1 of 7 videos from an April 2019 panel on legal resources.
The focus of Rise Women’s Legal Centre – to help women who do not have lawyers
Rise Women’s Legal Centre services:
- Virtual Legal Clinic –legal assistance to women outside the Lower Mainland
- Family Advocate Support Line –assistance or training to front line workers
- Referral –connects women with a range of resources, depending on their needs
- Summary Legal Advice –connects women to volunteer lawyers for brief advice
- Student Clinician Program –helps with Family Law; limited representation; immigration; Child, Family and Community Services Act (CFCSA) issues, Wills & Estates
- Can provide unbundled legal services (help with one portion of a larger process)
To view all resource panel presentations in one video: click here.
More free public resources about the law in British Columbia:
- Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC (Legal Aid BC)
- Clicklaw (online compendium of resources)
- Family Law in BC (Legal Aid BC)
- MyLawBC featuring Q and A pathways to get tailored action plans, and free online mediation to make a parenting plan (Legal Aid BC)
Please note: Legal Aid BC resources are for professional development. They don't provide legal or other professional advice. Law is constantly evolving; changes in practice and procedure occur frequently. Exercise your professional judgment about the correctness and applicability of the material. Please refer to the relevant legislation, case law, administrative guidelines, and other primary sources. The views and conclusions expressed here are not necessarily those of Legal Aid BC.
Legal Aid BC helps all British Columbians with serious family, child protection, immigration, and criminal law issues. We give free legal information to everyone, and advice and lawyer services to eligible British Columbians.
Credits: Presentation by Taruna Agrawal, Rise Women’s Legal Centre. Filmed by Focus Audio Visual Ltd. for Legal Aid BC. Edited by Paul Donovan, Focus Audio Visual Services Ltd., and Karen Dhanda, Legal Aid BC. Production and publication coordinated by Kate Murray, Ella Droko, Baljinder Gill, Brian Goncalves, and Bridget Greenwood, Legal Aid BC.