Acting for a legal aid client provides me with the opportunity to assist with what can be really overwhelming legal issues for any litigant.
-- Annabelle Oliver Dunbar, referral lawyer since 1983
Doing legal aid makes you feel good
Join the dedicated team of lawyers who provide legal aid services to thousands of disadvantaged British Columbians each year. Whether you are just starting your legal career or you are a seasoned lawyer, making legal aid work part of your practice will be rewarding and will provide you with many opportunities and benefits.
Top ten reasons to do legal aid work
You will be:
- helping to make a significant difference in people's lives;
- contributing to your community;
- fulfilling your sense of social responsibility;
- taking on interesting case work in criminal, family, immigration law, and appeals;
- gaining significant court room experience;
- working with a variety of cases you may not otherwise experience;
- receiving access to extensive support services, including e-services;
- benefiting from practice resources;
Legal Aid BC (LABC) is here to help you work with your legal aid clients. Our practice resources include:
- mentoring projects for lawyers with less than five years' call,
- free legal research memoranda from Legal Aid Ontario Law, and
- the following discounts and subscriptions for lawyers who take 12 legal aid contracts within 12 months:
- free enrollment in the Trial Lawyers Association of BC's Criminal Defence and Family Law Litigation Group List Servers
- a free subscription to electronic case summaries
- a 25 percent discount on CLEBC courses.
- getting paid in a timely and efficient manner; and
- working with an organization that is committed to helping people with low incomes throughout BC find solutions to their legal issues.
At LABC, access to justice isn't just a slogan; it's what we do.
If you are ready to sign up to take legal aid cases, simply complete the Lawyer Vendor Application Form-A online. Print a copy for your files, sign it, attach a copy of a void cheque, and send it to LABC by email at email@example.com or fax to 604-682-7967.
An email notification will be sent to you when your private bar vendor number has been issued, and a one-on-one orientation session with a Lawyer Support Representative will be arranged. LABC’s orientation program qualifies for 2 CPD credits.
Then feel free to contact the LABC offices you'd like to receive contracts from and introduce yourself.
If you have questions about doing legal aid work with LABC, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.