Find out about our work environment and benefits.
Our employees are proud of the work they do and committed to making a difference for our clients. Legal Aid BC promotes and maintains a safe, supportive, and healthy environment for its diverse organization.
Our generous and comprehensive benefit package includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Extended health benefits including, physiotherapy, massage and other therapeutic treatments
- Defined benefit pension plan
- Travel insurance and life insurance
- Employee and family assistance program
- Paid vacation (four weeks to start) and statutory holidays
- Modified work week schedule (EDOs) for some positions
- Birth parent, parental, and adoption leaves with generous top-up pay
- Employee wellness and recognition programs
- Employee referral program
- Healthy work-life balance
Legal Aid BC is a unionized environment. Our lawyers belong to the Professional Employee’s Association (PEA). Our other professional, technical, and support staff belong to the BC General Employees' Union (BCGEU). Our Human Resources Department, located in the Vancouver Regional Centre, is responsible for recruiting staff.
Health and wellness
We help to ensure Legal Aid BC (LABC) is a safe, secure, and healthy workplace for all employees through the Occupational Health and Safety Program, the LABC Wellness Program, and our compliance with WorkSafeBC occupational health and safety regulations. Our employees also contribute to ensuring a safe work environment by taking an active role in their own health and safety and that of their colleagues.
The LABC Employee Wellness Program Committee promotes activities that help employees create healthy lifestyles and contribute to overall well-being. Our Fun Club organizes appreciation events and activities to encourage connections with colleagues and to celebrate our accomplishments.
The LABC Ergonomics Program functions to make our work environments as safe, efficient, and comfortable as possible. The ergonomics team conducts assessments to help employees reduce and prevent injuries.
Legal Aid BC is committed to ensuring our employees are treated with dignity and respect. We're all entitled to a work environment free from discrimination, bullying, and all forms of harassment.
Our employment practices reinforce the importance of integrity, accountability, and diversity within the workplace. All employees share the responsibility of building and maintaining a respectful workplace.
Learning and development
Learning is part of everything Legal Aid BC does, and we promote continuous learning at all levels in the organization.
We foster a work environment that challenges and supports our employees, and values development and growth opportunities.
Our employees are provided training and development opportunities in the following areas:
- Health, safety, and wellness
- Personal development
- Diversity & inclusion, Indigenous cultural competence, and cultural awareness