Legal Aid BC now takes phone-only applications.

Criminal charges

You can get a lawyer to represent you in your criminal case if, after you were convicted, you would:

  • go to jail,
  • face a conditional sentence that would severely limit your liberty,
  • lose your way of earning a living, or
  • face an immigration proceeding that could lead to your deportation from Canada.

You can also get a lawyer to represent you if you:

  • have a condition that makes it impossible for you to represent yourself, such as a:
    • physical condition,
    • disability,
    • mental or emotional illness, or
  • areAboriginal and the case affects your ability to follow a traditional livelihood of hunting and fishing.

You can get a lawyer to represent you, but not go to trial with you, if you:

  • have been charged and don't face a risk of jail, or
  • face a risk of jail and have a higher household monthly income (see criminal early resolution cases).

If you're facing serious and complex criminal charges and you have been denied legal aid but can't afford a lawyer, you can make a Rowbotham Application. For more information, see the booklet, If You Can't Get a Lawyer for Your Criminal Trial: How to Make a Rowbotham Application.

For more information or to apply for legal aid, call the Legal Aid BC Call Centre

604-408-2172 (Greater Vancouver); or
1-866-577-2525 (elsewhere in BC)


If you're a young person charged with a federal offence, you're entitled to (have a right to) legal representation. However, if you're in the care of the Ministry of Children and Family Development (foster care), you must speak to your social worker to arrange for a lawyer.

Aboriginal legal rights — Gladue

If you identify as Aboriginal, you have special rights under the Criminal Code called Gladue. For more information, see our Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC website.

First Nations Court

In addition to your Gladue rights, you may be able to have your bail or sentencing hearing in First Nations/Indigenous Court.

For more information on Gladue and First Nations/Indigenous Court, see our fact sheet What's First Nations Court?

Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC

Find out more about Aboriginal legal rights in BC, including First Nations Court, Gladue principles, fishing/hunting/gathering, and your family's rights.

Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC