Family advice lawyers

If you're a parent with a low income and going through a separation or divorce, you may be eligible for up to three hours of free legal advice from a family advice lawyer. You may be able to get help even if you don't qualify for a legal aid lawyer.

Family advice lawyers can provide advice about:

  • parenting time orcontact,
  • guardianshipparenting time,
  • child support,
  • spousal support,
  • property division (limited advice),
  • agreements,
  • child protection, and
  • court procedures.

If your income is higher than our financial guideline limits for legal advice services, you may still receive:

  • up to one hour of advice from a family advice lawyer if you're in mediation and have received a referral through the family justice counsellors.

Where can I find family advice lawyers?

Family Justice Centres and Justice Access Centres are open for some in-person services and also provide remote services by phone. Family advice lawyer services at Justice Access Centres have returned to in-person services, or you can request a phone consultation. Family advice lawyer services at Family Justice Centres are available by phone only at this time. 

Contact the following locations for family advice lawyer services:

Get more information

For more information about this service, call Service BC and ask to be connected to the appropriate office.


604-660-2421 (Greater Vancouver)
250-387-6121 (Victoria)
1-800-663-7867 (elsewhere in BC)

Family Law in BC

Get legal information on divorce and separation, parenting, support, family violence, child protection, and other issues important to families.

Family Law in BC