Family advice lawyers

If you’re a parent with a low income and going through a separation or divorce, you may be eligible for up to three hours of free legal advice from a family advice lawyer. You may be able to get help even if you don’t qualify for a legal aid lawyer.

Family advice lawyers can provide advice about:

  • parenting time orcontact,
  • guardianshipparenting time,
  • child support,
  • spousal support,
  • property division (limited advice),
  • agreements,
  • child protection, and
  • court procedures.

If your income is higher than our financial guideline limits for legal advice services, you may still receive:

  • up to one hour of advice from a family advice lawyer if you’re in mediation and have received a referral through the family justice counsellors.

Where can I find family advice lawyers?

Family Justice Centres and Justice Access Centres provide some in-person services and also provide remote services by phone. Family advice lawyer services at Justice Access Centres provide in-person services, or you can request a phone consultation. Family advice lawyer services at Family Justice Centres are available by phone only at this time. 

Contact the following locations for family advice lawyer services:

Get more information

For more information about this service, call Service BC and ask to be connected to the appropriate office.


604-660-2421 (Greater Vancouver)
250-387-6121 (Victoria)
1-800-663-7867 (elsewhere in BC)