Child protection matters

You can get a lawyer to represent you for a child protection matter if:

Contact the Legal Aid BC Call Centre to apply for services. Or see below to find out if a Parents Legal Centre can help you.

Parents Legal Centres

Parents Legal Centres (PLCs) focuses on helping parents resolve their child protection matters early and collaboratively. They offer services at any stage of the child protection matter, from the first contact with the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCF) or a delegated Aboriginal agency until it's apparent the matter can't be resolved through collaborative processes.

The first PLC opened in 2015 in Vancouver. There are now ten locations to serve communities across BC. To find a centre near you, see legal aid locations.

PLCs provide:

  • information and advice on options for resolving child protection issues out of court,
  • legal advice and representation, where appropriate, through collaborative processes such as mediation and family case planning conferences,
  • legal advice and representation at uncontested hearings,
  • an advocate who will support you and go with you to meetings and appointments, and
  • referrals to other services, including online resources and other public agencies.

You may be eligible for these services if:

  • your income and assets fall within a qualifying range, and
  • you're a parent, guardian, or a person standing in the place of a parent.

If you already have a lawyer working with you on your child protection issue, Parents Legal Centres can't help you.

To find out if you're eligible for this service, visit your local office or call the LABC Call Centre.

Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC

Find out more about Aboriginal legal rights in BC, including First Nations Court, Gladue rights, fishing/hunting/gathering, and your family's rights.

Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC

Family Law in BC

Get legal information on divorce and separation, parenting, support, family violence, child protection, and other issues important to families.

Family Law in BC